Here is our official “Departure Day” prep list for road trips and vacations. Use it for extended hotel stays, holiday getaways and travel away from home. Want a printable list? Download the free “How to Prepare for a Road Trip Vacation” and get all the to do lists in printer friendly PDF format.
- Pack the main overnight bag.
- Pack the non perishable storage cooler.
- Pack the toiletries into zippered container.
- Turn off the electronics, PVR, cable box, etc.
- Turn off all electric heaters and appliances.
- Set air conditioning to vacation mode.
- Unplug any chargers, adapters not being used.
- Shut off the breaker to outside power outlets.
- Turn down, or shut off the hot water heater.
- Turn off the furnace, fireplace and pilot lights.
- Turn off the gas mains to the house and appliances.
- Turn off water main, or at least the laundry hoses.
- Water and feed all the plants.
- Set all of the automatic light timers.
- Clean perishable items out of the fridge.
- Empty all the garbage and dispose of it.
- Hide remaining valuables around the home.
Did we miss something on our “Departure Day” road trip vacation prep list? Please contact us at Driving Road Trips and let us know. Thank you!